what is autism, what are the four autism subtypes, and what is Understanding of the Autism Spectrum Disorder
what is autism? what are the four autism subtypes?
Autism, or Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), is a neurological and developmental disorder that affects communication, social interaction, and behavior. It is called a "spectrum" disorder because it affects individuals differently and to varying degrees.
Understanding Autism: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments
Symptoms of Autism
- Difficulty with communication, including delayed speech development, difficulty understanding and using language, and trouble with nonverbal communication such as facial expressions and gestures.
- Difficulty with social interaction, such as difficulty in making and maintaining friendships, lack of interest in playing with others, and difficulty in understanding social cues.
- Repetitive behaviors, such as hand-flapping, rocking back and forth, or lining up objects.
- Limited interests or activities, such as fixating on a particular object or topic and becoming upset if routines are disrupted.
- Sensory issues, such as being oversensitive or undersensitive to certain sounds, textures, or tastes.